Top Arts and Humanities Colleges in India
Humanities are academic disciplines that study aspects of human society and culture. The humanities include ancient and modern languages, literature, philosophy, geography, history, religion, art, and musicology. The humanities not only include literature of both ancient and modern languages, the performing arts, philosophy, comparative religion, and cultural studies, but also history, anthropology, and linguistics, although the latter three are often on the border between humanities and the social sciences.
As a Humanities major, you will gain the ability to reason critically, communicate effectively, and make connections across broad fields of knowledge. Students of humanities programs take a multidisciplinary approach to education. Programs combine the study of languages, literature, art, music, philosophy, and religion. Top arts and humanities colleges in India are listed as below:-
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized educational board|
1. Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi:-
Established in 1956 by late Sir Shri Ram in memory of his wife, affiliated to the University of Delhi and listed among top arts and humanities colleges in India. The college offers numerous courses at the UG and PG level for the earnest candidates. BA, B.Sc, and B.Com are offered at the undergraduate level, whereas at the PG level, the college offers Master’s degree only in Arts (MA).
2. Loyola College, Chennai:-
- Founded by the Society of Jesuits in the year 1925, approved by UGC and accredited by NAAC and NIRF.
- The primary objective of the institute is to provide education in a Christian atmosphere for deserving students irrespective of caste and creed.
- Awarded as “College of Excellence” for best practicing in Teaching and Research
3. Christ University, Bangalore:-
Established in 1969. UGC of India conferred autonomy to christ college in 2004 and identifies it as an institution with potential for excellence in 2006. This university provides social science, commerce, management education to over 18000 students.
4. St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai:-
Established in the year 1869, accredited by NAAC with A+ Grade. It got the affiliation from the University of Mumbai. St Xavier’s College is an educational institution that focuses on creative thinking with the aim of social transformation. The college promotes human wisdom and also seek to accompany in faith, the men, and women molded by the potent cultural forces inherent in the university as an institution.
5. Miranda House, New Delhi:-
Founded in 1948 by the university vice-chancellor, Sir Maurice Gwyer. It is amongst one of the top arts and humanities colleges in India. In 2017, the College was rated as the best college in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework. It offers courses in the fields of arts and science.
6. Hansraj College, New Delhi:-
- Founded by the D.A.V. College Managing Committee on July 26, 1948, and affiliated to University of Delhi.
- Accredited A+ Grade by NAAC and approved by the University Grants Commission.
- The Institute offers various UG, PG and Certificate courses. Admission to these courses will be done on the basis of Merit.
7. Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi:-
Established in 1920 as a Commercial School and in the year 1932, converted into a degree college. Established on the day of Basant Panchami when seven leading businessmen in Delhi founded the Commercial Education Trust.
The college provides quality education in the field of Commerce, Business Management, Economics, Political Science, Mathematics, Hindi, Computer Science and English. Being a top commerce institute in India, it offers a sharp edge in terms of academics and placements
8. Hindu College, New Delhi:-
Founded in the year 1899 by Late Shri Krishan Dassji Gurwale. The College in 1908 shifted to a building donated by Rai Bahadur Sultan Singh in Kashmiri Gate. One of the most top-ranked colleges in India for Humanities, Science, and Commerce stream through the Full-Time Courses provided by the college with the best faculty available.
Candidates will be selected on the basis of cut-off prepared by DU for Hindu College. Hindu College follows the reservation criteria of the Delhi University.
9. Ramjas College, New Delhi:-
- Established in the year 1917 by the great educationist and philanthropist, Rai Kedar Nath.
- In collaboration with the certain Departments, the college offers Part-Time Certificate / Diploma Language courses to the students.
- The College invites all students irrespective of gender, caste, religion and physical challenges to make us a rich and varied community.
10. Madras Christian College, Chennai:-
- A liberal art and science college that has consistently been ranked among the top arts and humanities colleges in India
- Established in 1837 as a School in the town of Madras, accredited by the NAAC-A, recognized by the UGC as ‘College with Potential for Excellence’ and affiliated to the University of Madras
- Today the College has more than 5000 students and over 220 faculty members serving in 31 departments.